While the “battle” for contractors’ and homeowners’ attention and residential roofing marketshare between Atlas and IKO shingles doesn’t have the same heavyweight interest of GAF vs. Owens Corning, these brands are certainly not fighting over scraps.
Both IKO and Atlas enjoy a moderate share of the composition shingles market, and the popularity of their steep-slope roofing products is growing every year. Currently, each brand offers 8 main shingle lines in the basic, better, and premium tiers explained in this guide.
Atlas and IKO Head-to-Head Comparison
However, there are plenty of other solid and compelling shingle options to consider outside of the mid-range lines, including the affordable 3-tab shingles, several high-end architectural series, and premium shingles from both brands.
Pro Tip: Talk to several contractors before you make a hiring decision. Many experienced roofing contractors install a wide range of shingles including both IKO and Atlas shingles. That’s one reason we recommend getting estimates from several different installers, so you can get expert advice and recommendations on which brand of shingles are best suited for the specific climate conditions in your area.
Did you know? IKO has a special Performance shingles category which includes IKO Dynasty and IKO Nordic shingles reinforced with ArmourZone for hail impact resistance (IR shingles) and exceptional high-wind and weather performance.
Meanwhile, Atlas also offers the enhanced-construction and impact-resistant (IR) shingles. We cover IR products from both brands in the Hail impact-resistant shingles section of the guide.
What you’ll find in this guide:
You’re here for sound advice, not a bunch of nonobjective marketing talk, and that is what we deliver.
We pick winners and losers in each category of roofing shingles. Let’s explore.
- Quality – Which brand makes better shingles in each tier?
- Costs – We list the current retail prices from major sellers – and where you can and cannot find roofing shingles from these brands.
- Performance and Value – IKO’s two most expensive shingle lines cost more, but are they worth the higher price? You’ll have a good idea of what you get for the money.
- Hail Impact Resistant Shingles – What they are, and what is and isn’t covered under the manufacturer’s warranties – Plus the best shingles from each brand for defending your roof from this weather menace
- Energy Efficient Shingles AKA Cool Roof Shingles from both brands.
- CA Title 24, LA County Green Building Code Roofing Shingles – Do any Atlas or IKO shingles meet these stringent standards?
- Warranty Comparison – and should you buy based on warranty? Are extended warranties worth the extra money? Do IKO and Atlas offer hail impact damage warranties?
- Bottom-line and Takeaways: While these are discussed throughout, we wrap up with final thoughts and conclusion to help you make the best choice.