We’ve put together a comprehensive residential siding guide to assist you in researching your options for replacement and new construction projects.
What’s Included: Seven possibilities ranging from affordable to upscale – Vinyl, steel & aluminum, fiber cement & composite, genuine wood, stucco, brick & stone and faux stone.
The information for each siding type includes:
- Materials and installation cost
- Tables that allow you to compare these materials at a glance in all key areas
- An introduction to each material, its construction and options
- Pros and cons such as durability/longevity, maintenance and repair requirements and appearance including the home styles that each siding types is best suited to
- Final summaries that might help you make your decision
- Tips for saving money on a siding project
|Siding Type||Materials||Installation||Total Cost per sq.ft.|
|Vinyl||$2.75 – $4.50||$2.50 – $8.00||$5.25 – $12.50|
|Aluminum & Steel||$3.00 – $6.50||$3.50 – $10.00||$6.50 – $16.50|
|Fiber Cement & Composite||$3.50 – $6.50||$4.00 – $8.50||$7.50 – $14.50|
|Wood||$2.50 – $8.50||$3.50 – $8.50||$4.15 – $17.00|
|Stucco||$4.90 – $6.50||$3.00 – $8.50||$7.90 – $14.50|
|Brick & Stone Veneer||$7.35 – $17.00||$6.30 – $10.00||$14.65 – $27.00|
|Faux Stone||$6.15 – $20.00||$8.55 – $11.00||$14.70 – $31.00|
* The materials column in the table above includes siding, trim and the supplies needed to install it.
* The installation column in the table above reflects the cost of professional labor.
The last column is the total installed cost for comparison.
Note: Each siding type in the table above is normally available in a wide range of quality and style options that affect material costs. Installation ranges from easy to difficult due to onsite factors which affect installation cost. Your project’s geography and local economy will also have a major impact on costs.
Types of Siding Materials:
This table summarizes the information in this section:
|Aluminum & Steel||Good||Good||30-50 years|
|Fiber Cement & Composite||Good||Good||35-50 years|
|Brick & Stone||Good||Excellent||75+|
|Faux Stone||Good||Good||30-50 years|
This is an extruded plastic material made from PVC resin for durability and resistance to the elements. The material is tinted in the production process, so the color goes all the way through.
There are three appearance options: Horizontal, vertical and shingle/shake panels.